The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Закінчування школи/The End of School

This past Friday, May 27, was the last day of school. It was less a day of school and more of a short celebration and wrapping up of business day.

The celebration started at 8.30am outside my school. All the forms lined up, and the 11th form (the graduating class) walked out. There were many speeches by the director, assistant director, the teacher that supervised the 11th form, people in education, and a few dancing and singing performances. All in all, it was about an hour long.






On Saturday, there was the graduation ceremony held for the 11th Form in the Cultural Building in my village. The way people dressed reminded me of prom. The top scholars were announced and diplomas were handed out.

After, there was a dinner in my school's cafeteria for the graduating students, their parents, and teachers. Like every Ukrainian celebration, there was way too much food. It was also weird to watch students drink openly. It was like a small dance and I believe traditionally they stay until the morning, then head out to the river to watch the sunrise together. I didn't teach this class though and didn't know many of them, plus I was tired, so I went home at about 2am.




No comments:

Post a Comment