The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Monday, October 10, 2011

Brovchenko and Cherevyk

I live on Brovchenko & Cherevyk Street. Every time I tell someone in Ukraine this, they say, "Huh?" because most streets in Ukraine are Lenina, Shevchenko, Kirova and other easily recognizable names.

Eventually at some point, I was told that my street is named after two local boys, Grigory Brovchenko and Opanas Cherevyk, from the World War II era who are considered heroes within my village. I finally got the story about what happened from a student, albeit in very general terms.

Here are buried young avengers
Brovchenko Grigory
Cherevyk Opanas
Tortured by Fascists in the year 1942
From grateful villagers

During the war, troops (I assume German) occupied my village and used cables to communicate. These two boys, aged 13 or 14, cut the cables one day, preventing the Germans from communicating. The troops were furious and threatened to kill everyone in the village. The two boys confessed to the crime and were hanged from a tree. I believe this happened in 1942.

No comments:

Post a Comment