The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Happy 101st Post

Happy one year anniversary to my village and me! This has felt like the longest and shortest year of my life.

I've been thinking about my PC service in the same way I thought of the half-marathon I ran: just make it to the halfway point, and once you hit that, you'll be on the down swing of things. The problem with that logic is that when you get to the midway point, your brain goes, "Yay!" and then it realizes, "Oh hey, I have to do all that I just did, again." And at this point, you're getting a little tired.

Overall, it's a good feeling though. I've already started comparing how things are now versus last winter when I first came to Mezhyrich. I remember driving down the main street, trying to remember where the shops and school were as we passed and there was already a few inches of snow and ice on the ground. Now I know where to go to buy what things and how late the shops are open, and there's only been one day where we had flurries but no actual snow yet. It's bound to be an interesting year, for sure.

And to celebrate my 101st post, enjoy these pictures of Levitzka!

Looking adorable

Rolling around/sleeping in a pile of origami cranes

No comments:

Post a Comment