The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Friday, March 30, 2012

Oksana Makar

I don't tend to get weepy when I read the news, but then I started reading all the stories about Oksana Makar. I think her story touches on all the issues I care most about and a lot of the things I find most frustrating about Ukraine.

This is a good article summarizing the original events.

She put up a tough fight, but yesterday she died.

If you really want to read more, here are links to Persephone Magazine's coverage:
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

You can also read the New York Times article, though I find its coverage disappointing and lacking.

This makes me so sad. Rest in peace, Oksana.

No comments:

Post a Comment