The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sunday, September 2, 2012

First Bell 2012

Happy First Bell! And may the odds be ever in your favor.

Pat yourself on the back if you got that Hunger Games reference.

I know I've mentioned this before, but September first always marks the first day of school (also known as First Bell and The Day of Knowledge. I don't know why it has so many names), even when it falls on a weekend day. So yesterday my school held its First Bell Ceremony. I have to admit, it was a little lackluster this year. I don't know if that was because my director wasn't there because she's been in the hospital, or because the microphone only half-worked, or because there was no singing and no dancing. I did, however, get a nice bouquet of yellow roses from a student. I'm quite fond of this Ukrainian tradition of giving flowers at celebrations. We did have the normal speeches welcoming parents and students back, the welcoming of the new first form into the secondary school, and the moving of the tenth form into the top dog position of eleventh form. Then this little girl rang the ceremonial bell with one of the eleventh formers carrying her.


And in case you're silly enough to wonder if I know my schedule yet, that's a negative. I may or may be teaching Monday. I'll find out Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment