The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Friday, April 27, 2012

Holidays

I had forgotten how many holidays there are in May here.

This week, my school will have lessons on Saturday too, making it a six day work week, to balance out the May 1st holiday of Labor Day, which means I'll have Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday off of school.

When we start back up on Thursday, the tentative plan is to work until Saturday again because May 9th is Victory Day and we'll have two or three more days off.

Basically, life is pretty easy right now. I can't remember if there are other holidays, but I'm sure there will be football games, cleaning tasks, and random other things that mess with the schedule and pull kids out of class.

In unrelated news, here are some fun articles about Ukraine for the week:

The Ugly Game from The Economist, about one of the (many) problems Ukraine will face while hosting Euro 2012 this summer.

Body Blow from The Economist, about Yulia Tymoshenko's ongoing incarceration.

Gender in the USSR from Ukrainian Week. This explains so much about gender relations here.

Anecdote of the week: I went running yesterday and on the way home, one of my cute red headed second formers asked if she could run with me to her grandmother's house down the street. Of course, I said yes. 'Twas marvelous.

No comments:

Post a Comment