The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Berehove/Beregszasz

I traveled to Berehove/Beregszasz (Ukrainian and Hungarian names, respectively) this past weekend to run a 10k and support another PCV who organized the event. Berehove is 6km from the border of Hungary, and it was like being in another country!

First, it's situated in the foothills of the Carpathian mountains so it's not the normal flat, farmland I usually see. Because it's so close to Hungary, all the signs were in Ukrainian and Hungarian and local people tend to speak Hungarian [I learned the Hungarian word for street is 'utca']. Everything was so green! There were lots of plants and trees, and it was so pretty.


And it was so clean!

Some things were in English too.

Also, the customer service was more typical of what you would find in western Europe, though Berehove is more of a tourist town. Sales people were very polite and helpful, and you paid your bill for food or coffee after you finished eating. Oddly enough, I still heard Russian in some stores and a sales woman had trouble understanding my Ukrainian in one place. The girl who served us coffee asked us if we were American, and then said thank you and goodbye in English.

The cafe where we drank coffee and sat outside for a couple of hours.

All the trains run on Kyiv time, but the locals follow Central European time (an hour behind Kyiv time).

On Friday, there was a walking tour. I peaced out of this early because I had basically walked the entire town earlier in the day as my friend and I tried to find our hotel and the bus station. We also hung out in the park and ate ice cream!

The park in the center of town.

The monument in the middle.

The event itself was held on Saturday morning, and there were 1k, 5k, 10k, and half marathon races. I ran the 10k, and everyone received a little medal and wine glass with two free wine tasting tickets inside. Berehove is wine country, and after the races there was a wine festival. I tasted both the white and red wines and they were delicious. I bought a bottle of white to split with my friend, and I bought a bottle of red as a gift for my landlord. There was also lots of barbecuing going on, and I ate some delicious 'shashleek' (shishkabob).

Everything went really well, with the exception of our hotel not having our reservation so we ended up spending our second night in Mukacheve. That was fine though, because our train back to Lviv left from Mukacheve. Overall, it was an awesome trip.

Some kind of memorial.

Mausoleum.

This cemetery was like a jungle. It was pretty and very different from other Ukrainian cemeteries I've seen.

Flowers on a grave.

 The bridge over the river.

No comments:

Post a Comment