The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thursday, May 19, 2011

This Week

Lots happened this week. Here it is.

1) I got into the orphanage! Actually, I only made it into the yard where they were all playing but I like to think that still counts. I found out there are 17 of them that live in the orphanage, and I teach seven of them. Given the stereotypes of orphans in Ukraine, I was surprised when I found out some of my more respectful and achieving 7th formers live there. I also found out they are going to America for a month. I asked when and where, but in typical Ukrainian fashion they didn't know.

2) I got my fridge and hot water back! Not having hot water wasn't such a big deal, but not having a fridge was a bummer. Now I can eat things other than rice, cream of wheat, and bread!

3) My landlord set up mouse traps and I've seen noticeable fewer of them in my house.

4) I've been talking with the other English teacher at my school. She is super nice and helpful. She took me on an excursion to a historical Cossack site at the edge of my village. There are these mounds of Earth in the shape of a crab, and it is believed the Cossacks used the formation for observation and religious ceremonies. She also invited me to a small ceremony that happened today, the end of year ceremony (which I hear is quite a sight), and on an excursion to the city of Karniv this weekend.

5) It's the second to last week of school!

6) The ceremony today was for the 5th form class. They were inducted into some kind of pioneering society. It was fairly short but still neat to watch.

7) The chickens are no longer in my house. The smell is already fading.

8) I think one of the little dogs in my backyard is pregnant. I'm excited about impending puppies.

 Me at the Cossack site with some Ukrainians. Sometimes I forget that Ukrainians don't smile in pictures.

In the middle of the formation.

This is in my village. It honors the first female tractor drivers. The woman is one of the English teachers at my school.

Things burning, per usual.

The 11th form tying the scarves of the 5th form today, inducting them into the society.

A third former took this picture. I think she did a good job. I don't teach them but these kids come and visit me on their breaks.

They're cute.

Then they hung out my window to take pictures of their friends playing.

He looks proud of himself, doesn't he? Note the chicken head.

No comments:

Post a Comment