The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Fridays and Old New Year

Last Friday, January 14th, was Old New Years. I'm not really sure what this holiday celebrates, but I was woken up by my landlord banging on my window at 6:45 am, yelling "It's a holiday!" After I opened my door, she turned on all the lights and ushered in three young men, who sang-chanted something I didn't understand and threw grain all over my corridor. Then I paid them for their wake-up call. I think the grain is supposed to be good luck for the next year, and you leave it on the floor for one day.

Next year, I will remember to be more prepared for this experience and actually be awake when it happens. And have candy and money ready.

On another note, I'm pretty sure yesterday would've completely sucked had it not been for my fifth formers. They were the last of the four classes I taught, and all the others didn't go so well. I had them read a short joke, and I could tell they didn't understand. So I made them act it out, which they were excited about, and I translated a few of the difficult phrases. Then, they had an "Oh!" moment and started giggling as they got it. They saved my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment