The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sunday, January 30, 2011

I've Been Drinking the Kool Aid

I was perusing The New York Times when I saw this little image in the side bar:


I instantly thought: An article or artist from Ukraine! Why did I think this? Because the Ukrainian flag looks like this:


Unfortunately, it was not an article about or an artist from Ukraine. It's actually a painting by a Canadian artist named Leanne Shapton of the Titicus Reservoir in New York.

But I think the painting demonstrates the meaning behind the Ukrainian flag quite well, and is another example of how Ukrainians are connected to nature. The flag represents the golden wheat fields meeting the perfect blue sky.

Another fun fact: The names of months in Russian are close to the Latin equivalents, but in Ukrainian the names of the months mimic what's happening in nature. October (жовтень) literally means 'yellow', because all the leaves start to change color; December (грудень) is 'frozen ground'.

I'm hoping to get my own picture of wheat fields and sky once summer arrives.

No comments:

Post a Comment